Add some UI or keyboard shortcuts to move from one XPath Selection to next/previous

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Hi,

first thanks for this great XML Viewer with XPath capabilities!

I tried the codeplex hosted XPathVisualizer and there are UI elements to step between the nodes selected by a XPath expression.

Currently in the XML Explorer there is only the ability to let the first found node to be selected or to have all selected nodes to be in a new tab, why not this third way? 

Thanks and best regards,

Martin Lemburg

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2010 at 2:21 PM

That is an excellent suggestion, thank you!  I'll get it added to the Issue Tracker.  Shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Thanks,

Jason

Coordinator
Apr 15, 2010 at 12:15 AM

I just committed code changes to implement this feature.  Are you able to download and build the source, or would you like me to send you a build?  I'd appreciate your feedback, if you don't mind, before I add this to the public build.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Hi jcoon,

sorry to say, I have no .NET 4 development environment (VS2010).

So - if you could please "send" me "private" build for testing?

Best regards and thanks for your quick response!

Martin

Apr 15, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Thanks for you providing the new version of the XML Explorer for testing!

The behavior seems to be a bit "instable".

I loaded a parsable HTML file and applied the XPath expression "//*[@alt]".

1. The first think realized is, that from jumping from occurrence to occurrence reaching occurrence 10, the "next" arrow vanishes and the "previous" arrow stays visible.

2. While keeping hitting <Return> with the focus in the XPath expressions entry control, every next occurrence is reached and the "next" arrow stays vanishes only at the 10th occurrences and is visible again from 11 occurrence on.

3. How do I come back to the first occurrence? Going backwards (perhaps to the first occurrence) using the arrows could be painful, if there are a lot of occurrences to jump over.
Selecting the first (root) node, does not help and the current selected occurrence stays to be e.g. the last

4. Sometimes the next arrow vanishes after entering the XPath expression, while the previous arrow stayes greyed out (like expected). Sometimes switching to another application or pressing a key suddenly lets the next arrow appear again.

Some suggestions:

1. Don't show the text with variable width between the arrows. IMHO such "wandering" UI elements (with no stable position) are not very good, when doing a lot of "click" work. Perhabs this information can be shown in the status bar

2. Provide a first, previous, next, last button

3. Let the search cycle through the file restarting from the beginning at the end of the file

4. Even if perhaps the current XPath expression and its results are cached to avoid "recalculations" - if the edited XPath expression is the same, than before ... please reset the current current occurrence selection to the first occurrence.

So - that's all for now.

Hold on!

Best regards,

Martin